Protecting the IoT, including IIoT deployment, is often seen as being in the national interests of a country. This has led to many of the standards from around the world, which we will describe in the next chapter.
In the United States, the US Department of Homeland Security (DHS) (https://www.dhs.gov/securingtheIoT) stepped in to also provide guidelines regarding securing the IoT. The DHS defined the seven strategic principles for securing the IoT:
- Incorporate security at the design phase
- Promote security updates and vulnerability management
- Build on recognized security practices
- Prioritize security measures according to potential impact
- Promote transparency across IoT
- Connect carefully and deliberately
The strategic ...