VISUAL STUDIO FEATURES
The Visual Studio solution and associated project implement a wide array of the available Umbraco features to give you an example implementation that you can apply to concepts far outside the realm of classified ads. So, here's what the sample app covers in terms of Umbraco functionality:
- Nested master pages
- XSLT macros for outputting the content in various formats
- A custom .NET user control
- Document API for creating a node programmatically
- Event hooks to move and set node properties before the node is published
- Reading configuration files to avoid hard-coding values
- Custom data types in the backoffice and rendering them in your .NET user control
The functional features of the classified ads application are as follow:
- On the homepage a user can access the latest three submitted classified ads.
- The user can browse all the available classified ads grouped by the selected ad category and filtered by the expiration date (defaulted to 21 days from publication and set using the BeforePublish event).
For a list of all available event hooks, see Chapter 12.
- The user can submit a new ad to the system that you must first review in the Umbraco backoffice before it is published. When an editor clicks the Save & Publish button in the backoffice, the ad moves out of the unreviewed ads and then publishes.