|In negotiating during buy and sell situations:
- Focus on value not on price.
- Develop the full value proposition.
- Continue to develop a broad-based customer relationship.
|In internal negotiations:
- Highlight areas of agreement at the beginning and throughout the negotiation.
- Convert the situation from a “me versus you” to an “us against the problem.”
- Use facts and logic sparingly; if resistance occurs, use questioning and listening to understand the other party’s point of view.
- Offer currencies beyond the issue being negotiated.
- Avoid overstating or inflating your wants and needs.
- Resist escalation.
|In negotiating with your boss:
- Break the task down into: specification, time, and resources.
- Use the concept of the triangle to estimate these factors.
- Remember the Rule of the Triangle—whenever adjustments are made to any of the sides, the area must remain proportional.
- Tips in handling a negotiation with your boss:
Allow a reasonable time for a quality job.
Determine the specifications.
Build in a contingency reserve.
Use resources creatively.
Know which factor drives the project.
Learn to say “Yes, and . . .” rather Than “No.”
In team negotiations:
- Consider advantages ...