Facebook Game Design Lessons from KIXEYE’s Paul Preece
Paul Preece of KIXEYE offers the following game design lessons:
- Gameplay speed-ups monetize well, whereas nonfunctional virtual decor usually does not.
- Generating an emotional response in players (positive or negative) monetizes well.
- Targeted marketing through Facebook’s ad platform also attracts players who monetize well.
- For strong retention, design a strong meta game that has goals above and beyond the game’s specific, explicit objectives.
- Every game has about 70 percent similarity to the games that came before it—the challenge is highly evolved design.
See Chapter 5, “Facebook Design Lessons from KIXEYE and 5th Planet Games,” for more information.