Here are the key points we covered in this chapter:
- Design now because success usually comes from unexpected places.
- The market has always been oversaturated with games. Big hits often come from unexpected places. Like your computer.
- Small iOS/Facebook/web developers have some special advantages over the big publishers (who often fund indie game designers for that very reason).
- It’s better to design a game you love, because all the work you’ll do to make it won’t feel like work at all.
- It’s better to design a game that’s as original as possible, because imitations are risky and you probably won’t love making them.
- When you do design games similar to those that have worked before, be sure to add your own spin.
- Be prepared to fail, because your first failed games are steps to ultimate success.
- Great games will eventually gain an audience, because they’ll find passionate advocates.
- Games for the web, Facebook, and iOS now reach a larger audience than any before. Don’t miss this chance to create for these platforms.