After reading this chapter, you’ll be able to do the following:
• Understand the differences between tessellation shaders and vertex shaders.
• Identify the phases of processing that occur when using tessellation shaders.
• Recognize the various tessellation domains and know which one best matches the type of geometry you need to generate.
• Initialize data and draw using the patch geometric primitive.
This chapter introduces OpenGL’s tessellation shader stages. It has the following major sections:
• “Tessellation Shaders” provides an overview of how tessellation shaders work in OpenGL.
• “Tessellation Patches” introduces tessellation’s rendering primitive, the patch.