The development of virtual reality has been driven by the confluence of three improvements to display technologies:
- Field of View: the size of the area that we can see
- Stereoscopic 3D: the depth cue from viewing the world from two different horizontally separated viewpoints
- Interactivity: the ability to change the virtual environment in real time
In this chapter, we are going to illustrate the history of virtual reality and how earlier designs have served as inspiration for today, even a few older ideas that we have not quite duplicated with our current generation of VR hardware.
We will investigate the following:
- 19th century panoramic paintings
- Cycloramas and Sensoramas
- NASA Moon Landing Simulators
- Nintendo ...