Next Steps on Your Own
Of course, there is a long story behind each of the types of data that we have looked at briefly here. If you are interested in a particular type or source of data, I suggest that you look first at the Web for sources and then study Web pages or texts for more detail.
Checking, Updating, and Organizing Your Fast Facts File
The Fast Facts File that you are developing should contain references to items in the following checklist. The checklist represents the abilities to use the software you should have upon completing Chapter 2.
- To initiate ArcMap:
- Square feet in an acre; acres in a square mile
- To move toolbars by double-clicking
- To turn toolbars on or off
- To include extensions in the software
- The T/C contains ______ when List By Drawing Order is selected.
- The T/C contains ______ when List By Source is selected.
- The T/C contains ______ when List By Visibility is selected.
- The T/C contains ______ when List By Selection is selected.
- To change just the color of a plotting symbol
- To change the color and size of a plotting symbol
- To set the map and display units
- Map units are
- Display units are
- To open an attribute table
- To dock and automatically hide attribute table(s)
- A personal geodatabase (PGDB) is
- A PGDB feature dataset is
- A PGDB feature class is
- A PGDB freestanding feature class is
- A coverage is
- A shapefile is
- A DRG is
- A DOQ is
- A DEM is
- A TIN is
- Vector means
- Raster means
- TIGER refers to
- To group layers together
- To rename a ...