Overall Requirements for Utility
To be useful in decision making, products of a GIS must meet several criteria:
1. The decision makers must know it is available.
2. They must be able to understand it.
3. They must have some reason to believe that it is worth their time to determine how to use it.
4. Assistance to aid the decision makers’ understanding of the product must be available.
5. The product must be available at the time it is needed.
6. It must be relevant to the area of concern.
7. It must have considerable accuracy and integrity; if the product lets decision makers down, a long time will elapse before they depend on such information again.