PROPERTIES OF SOUND WAVES
The properties of sound waves can be summed up as follows.
- Sound waves are longitudinal waves.
- Sound travels through all states of matter.
- The velocity of sound is maximum in solids and least in gases.
- Sounds which can be heard by human beings are known as audible sounds. Their frequency range is from 20 to 20,000 Hz.
- Sounds of frequencies greater than 20,000 Hz are called ultrasonic sounds. Ultrasonic sounds can be received and emitted by bats.
- Sounds of frequencies less than 20 Hz are called infrasonic sounds. Infrasonic sounds can be received by snakes.
- Sound waves can be reflected. In the phenomenon of reflection, the speed, frequency and wavelength of the sound waves do not change.
- Sound waves can be refracted. ...