There are a number of interrelated factors that must be considered in designing transducer for converting electrical energy into airborne acoustic energy. These include electroacoustic efficiency, uniformity of frequency response, linearity of amplitude response, transient response, power handling capacity, size, durability and cost. An ideal loudspeaker:
- would have an electroacoustic efficiency approaching 100 per cent.
- would have an acoustic output response that is independent of frequency over the entire audible range.
- would introduce neither harmonic nor intermodulation distortion into its output.
- would faithfully reproduce transients as well as steady input signals.
- would be capable of producing a nondirectional radiation ...