1. The recording session may be in a studio or an external location. A simple two-microphone balance may be used, or a multi-microphone set-up.
2. Multi-mix as well as two-mix sessions can be recorded directly onto twin-track 1/4 in tapes.
2a. Multi-mix sessions are more commonly recorded on multi-track machines (1 or 2 in tape : 8, 16, 24 or 32 tracks).
3. and 3a. The best takes are edited together to produce a complete performance.
4. An edited twin-track tape is called a master and will usually be copied for safety.
4a. A multi-track tape is copied via a mixing desk by a process known as reduction, to make…
5. ….twin-track production master.
6. The twin-track tape goes to the cutting room for transfer ...