Deep immersive experience and understanding of a user’s world for design empathy and insight
• This is characterized by descriptive accounts of people in their natural settings, typically using qualitative methods.
• It is focused on a highly contextual, comprehensive, and empathic understanding of users, their lives, their language, their artifacts, and their behaviors.
• In contrast to anthropologist ethnographers who immerse themselves in a culture over extensive periods of time, designers aim to sample behaviors.
• Common methods include experience sampling, diary and photo studies, cultural probes, contextual inquiry, conversational interviews, touchstone tours, and observations.
• Analysis is based on deciphering ...