Self-documentation of a participant’s life and interactions
• Common in exploratory research as a method for understanding the world of users, particularly when engaging in territory unfamiliar to the designer.
• To initiate a photo study, participants are provided with a camera or instructed how their own cameras are to be used for the purposes of the research.
• Participants are given general instructions on what to document, or they may be instructed to take images at certain times or when feeling a particular way.
• Photo studies are most often used as a complement to other methods: for example, diary studies or the experience sampling method.
• The designer may rely solely on the photographs and participant notes for synthesis ...