Using artifacts and the environment as touchstones for insightful conversation
• This guided tour is a contextual, empathic method to understand how people organize information and systems using space and cognitive artifacts.
• The exploratory method allows designers to establish familiarity with a territory in early-phase research.
• The participant is asked to guide the researcher through an environment and objects, specific to themes or subjects being explored by the designer.
• Tours can be guided through homes, workspaces or individual rooms, micro or mobile environments such as backpacks and purses, or digital devices and computer desktops.
• Conversation should be guided yet flexible, allowing fluid departures based ...