Immersive membership in an activity, context, culture, or subculture
• A participant observation (PO) researcher forms deep connections and empathy by experiencing events in the same way as the people they are studying.
• PO is a foundational method of anthropology, adapted for design use through time-limited engagements.
• Systematic observation and recording are critical to document physical aspects of the environment, behaviors, interactions, language, motivations, and perceptions of the participants.
• Marginal participants blend into an environment as natural observers of an activity or event.
• Full participants take on a membership role or may already occupy a role that allows for full participation.
• Participant ...