Behaviors, interactions, thoughts, or feelings self-reported in real time when signaled
• Experience sampling requires participants to document something specific when signaled by a device alarm.
• Before smartphones, participants were signaled by pagers, hence the common nickname of “beeper study.”
• Behaviors, interactions, thoughts, or feelings are guided by clear instructions and entered into a pre-established form, often with photos in a diary or journal.
• Technology allows for documenting and sending photos, text, or audio entries through smartphones.
• This is a form of design ethnography, collecting strategic samples of life in place of in-person immersion by researchers.
• Samples can give the designer ...