Essential resources for training and HR professionals
Practicing Organization Development
A Guide for Leading Change
William J. Rothwell
Jacqueline M. Stavros
Roland L. Sullivan
Practicing Organization Development, Third Edition
Building on its reputation as the most practical, comprehensive, useful, and clearly written handbook on organization development (OD), this new edition of Practicing Organization Development has been thoroughly revised updated to reflect the most recent developments in the field. With contributions from leading OD practitioners and scholars, the book includes a review of the core elements of OD that offers new information on a variety of topics such as leadership transformation and development, questions of inquiry, multi-level strategic change, global compact, positive states of organizing, and OD's role in creating a structure of belonging.
Praise for the Third Edition of Practicing Organization Development
"Nowadays a good roadmap is needed to navigate all the roads and this book does a great job of telling the reader of the variety of destinations that can be reached and how to reach them . . . .this book is as complete a compendium on what OD is and can be as is currently available."
—Dr. Edgar H. Schein, Sloan Fellows Professor of Management Emeritus, MIT Sloan School of Management
"Many of our organizations are in a crucible. Crucibles are utterly transformational experiences from which one emerges either hopelessly broken or powerfully emboldened to learn and lead. This book is a bright signal of what our change field has to assist you to become successful and make a difference in all you do."
—Dr. Warren Bennis, professor and founding chairman of The Leadership Institute at the University of Southern California
William J. Rothwell is professor of human resource development of Learning and Performance Systems on the University Park campus of The Pennsylvania State University. He is author and editor of more than 60 books, including the bestselling Mastering the Instructional Design Process from Pfeiffer.
Table of contents
- About This Book
- About Pfeiffer
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- Table of Figures
- List of Tables
- Table of Exhibits
PART ONE - FOUNDATIONS
CHAPTER ONE - Organization Development and Change
- WHAT ARE ORGANIZATION DEVELOPMENT AND CHANGE MANAGEMENT?
- WHY CARE ABOUT OD AND CHANGE?
- WHAT SPECIAL TERMS ARE USED IN ORGANIZATION DEVELOPMENT?
- WHAT IS SYSTEMS THINKING AND WHY IS IT IMPORTANT?
- WHAT ARE THE PHILSOPHICAL FOUNDATIONS OF OD, AND WHY ARE THEY IMPORTANT?
- HOW OD IS RELATED TO THE HR FIELD
- GLOBAL OD
- CHAPTER TWO - Change Process and Models
- CHAPTER THREE - On the Shoulders of Giants
- CHAPTER FOUR - Building Convergence Between Human Resource Management and OD
- CHAPTER FIVE - Competencies of OD Practitioners
- CHAPTER SIX - Mindful Leadership Development
- CHAPTER SEVEN - Appreciative Inquiry
- CHAPTER ONE - Organization Development and Change
PART TWO - OD PROCESS TO GUIDE CHANGE
- CHAPTER EIGHT - Entry
- CHAPTER NINE - Front-End Work
CHAPTER TEN - Launch
- THE PURPOSE OF LAUNCH
- A MODEL FOR ASSESSING ORGANIZATIONS, PLANNING ACTIONS, AND IMPLEMENTING CHANGE
- DEVELOPING AN ASSESSMENT, ACTION PLANNING, AND IMPLEMENTATION PHILOSOPHY
- THE IMPORTANCE OF UNDERSTANDING ORGANIZATIONS AND WHAT IT TAKES TO BUILD THEM
- ASSESSMENT METHODS
- ACTION PLANNING
- CHAPTER ELEVEN - Situational Evaluation
- CHAPTER TWELVE - Closure
PART THREE - LEVELS AND TYPES OF CHANGE
CHAPTER THIRTEEN - Taking Organization Culture Seriously
- WHAT IS CULTURE AND HOW DOES IT WORK?
- IS OD STILL HOOKED ON DIAGNOSIS AND DATA GATHERING?
- IS TOO MUCH OD BASED ON INDIVIDUAL COUNSELING MODELS?
- DOES OD MISAPPLY NATURAL SCIENCE MODELS TO HUMAN SYSTEMS?
- WHAT SHOULD OD’S STANCE BE VIS-A-VIS SUBCULTURES? WHAT IS ORGANIZATIONAL HEALTH?
- A NEW ROLE FOR OD CONSULTANTS
- CHAPTER FOURTEEN - Individual Development in OD
- CHAPTER FIFTEEN - Team Building and the Four Cs of Team Performance
- CHAPTER SIXTEEN - Interventions in Large Systems
- CHAPTER SEVENTEEN - Whole System Change
- CHAPTER EIGHTEEN - SOAR
- CHAPTER THIRTEEN - Taking Organization Culture Seriously
PART FOUR - SPECIAL ISSUES IN OD
- CHAPTER NINETEEN - Positive Organizational Change
- CHAPTER TWENTY - Systemic Sustainability
- CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE - The Global OD Consultant
- CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO - Inclusion
- CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE - Organization Design
- CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR - The OD Role in Making Mergers and Acquisitions Work
- CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE - Human Systems Dynamics
- CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX - Seeing and Influencing Self-Organization
- CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN - Values, Ethics, and Expanding the Practice of OD
- CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT - Technologies to Support Interactive and Connective OD in ...
- CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE - Transformational Learning Journeys
- CHAPTER THIRTY - The Personhood of the OD Practitioner
- CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE - The Organizational Fitness Process
- CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO - Context Blindness
- CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE - Transforming the HR-OD Audit by Using Whole Systems
- CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR - Emergence
- CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE - Practicing Internal OD
- CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX - Estimating OD Success Rates at the National Level
- THIRTY-SEVEN - Four Risk Factors of the Unexamined Life
- CHAPTER THIRTY-EIGHT - Whole System Transformation
- CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE - The Keys to Building a Transformative OD Practice
PART FIVE - THE FUTURE OF ORGANIZATION DEVELOPMENT
- CHAPTER FORTY - Dialogic OD
- CHAPTER FORTY-ONE - Valuable Insights on OD from the Contributors
- CHAPTER FORTY-TWO - The Shifting Field of OD Practice
- GUEST ESSAY
- ABOUT THE EDITORS
- About the Contributors
- SUBJECT INDEX
- NAME INDEX
- Title: Practicing Organization Development: A Guide for Leading Change: A Third Edition
- Release date: October 2009
- Publisher(s): Pfeiffer
- ISBN: 9780470523926
You might also like
Best Practices in Organization Development and Change: Culture, Leadership, Retention, Performance, Coaching
Learn from experts at the world's top organizations! Best Practices in Organization Development and Change is …
The NTL Handbook of Organization Development and Change: Principles, Practices, and Perspectives, 2nd Edition
This book provides an essential learning tool for both practitioners and students and presents the skills …
The Little Book of Big Management Theories
89 management theories from the world’s best management thinkers – the fast, focussed and express route …
Value Proposition Design: How to Create Products and Services Customers Want
The authors of the international bestseller Business Model Generation explain how to create value propositions customers …