Learn the techniques used by the most successful IT people in the world.
About This Book
- Get real-life case studies for different IT roles, developers, testers, analysts, project managers, DBAs
- Identify with your IT scenarios and take the right decision to move up in your career
- Improve your EQ and face any difficult scenario confidently and effectively
Who This Book Is For
This book is for professionals across the IT domain who work as developers, administrators, architects, administrators system analysts, and so on, who want to create a better working environment around them by improving their own emotional intelligence. This book assumes that you are a beginner to emotional intelligence and will help you understand the basic concepts before helping you with real life scenarios.
What You Will Learn
- Improve your observation skills to understand people better
- Know how to identify what motivates you and those around you
- Develop strategies for working more effectively with others
- Increase your capacity to influence people and improve your communication skills
- Understand how to successfully complete tasks through other people
- Discover how to control the emotional content of your decision-making
This book will help you discover your emotional quotient (EQ) through practices and techniques that are used by the most successful IT people in the world. It will make you familiar with the core skills of Emotional Intelligence, such as understanding the role that emotions play in life, especially in the workplace. You will learn to identify the factors that make your behavior consistent, not just to other employees, but to yourself. This includes recognizing, harnessing, predicting, fostering, valuing, soothing, increasing, decreasing, managing, shifting, influencing or turning around emotions and integrating accurate emotional information into decision-making, reasoning, problem solving, etc., because, emotions run business in a way that spreadsheets and logic cannot. When a deadline lurks, you'll know the steps you need to take to keep calm and composed. You'll find out how to meet the deadline, and not get bogged down by stress. We'll explain these factors and techniques through real-life examples faced by IT employees and you'll learn using the choices that they made. This book will give you a detailed analysis of the events and behavioral pattern of the employees during that time. This will help you improve your own EQ to the extent that you don't just survive, but thrive in a competitive IT industry.
Style and approach
You will be taken through real-life events faced by IT employees in different scenarios. These real-world cases are analyzed along with the response of the employees, which will help you to develop your own emotion intelligence quotient and face any difficult scenario confidently and effectively.
Table of Contents
What is Emotional Intelligence?
- The importance of emotional intelligence for IT professionals
- What is emotional intelligence?
- The difference between emotions and feelings
- The five universal emotions plus calm
- The Neuroscience Behind Emotional Intelligence
Core Emotional Intelligence Skills IT Professionals Need
- Social awareness
- Social skills
- The consequences of having bad social skills
How to Build an Emotionally Intelligent IT Organization
- Does an organization have emotional intelligence?
- The three dimensions in which the organization operates
How to Be an Emotionally Intelligent IT Manager
- Know yourself and your people
- Strategies to better manage extroverts and introverts
How to Be an Emotionally Intelligent IT Leader
- What is the leadership of the future?
- The six emotional intelligent leadership styles
- Do you know your type of leadership?
The 3D leadership of the future
Self (first dimension)
- Others (second dimension)
- Social awareness
- Service (third dimension)
- Social Skills
- Self (first dimension)
How to Hire Emotionally Intelligent IT Professionals
- Best practices to attract the best IT professional fit for a position
- Best hiring practices for IT
The rules for a better interview outcome
- Preparing the interview
Conducting the interview
- How to identify the right candidate
- Mastering behavioral and situational interview questions
- Effective behavioral interview questions
- Effective situational interview questions
- Assessing emotional intelligence traits in candidates
- Assessing emotional intelligence in leadership candidates
- Assessing emotionally intelligent management candidates
- Assessing emotionally intelligent sales people
- Assess emotional intelligent customer service candidates
Preventing Stressful Situations with Emotional Resilience
- What is emotional resilience?
The five pillars of emotional resilience
- First pillar - stay calm, cool, and collected
- Second pillar - control your emotions
- Third pillar - create positive emotions daily
- Fourth pillar - develop self-compassion
- Fifth pillar - be grateful and forgive
- A special word to prevent burnout
- Title: Emotional Intelligence for IT Professionals
- Release date: September 2017
- Publisher(s): Packt Publishing
- ISBN: 9781787285798